What is Link Sharing and How You Can Use It
Sharing a file over the internet can be a difficult task. Email platforms typically have low attachment size limits and most file sharing websites likewise have a limited amount of storage space available. However, you can overcome these limits with how you share links. With URLs, you can share files quickly and with few limitations.
Because of this, link sharing is especially useful for businesses who have to send a lot of files to clients. Sending a file as a URL lets you send large files or several files very quickly and through a secure network. As such, your client can receive their necessary files quickly. They don’t even have to download them to view them!
Similarly, link sharing is convenient for remote work teams who must collaborate with co-workers over the internet. Sending files via link lets co-workers collaborate virtually on files and projects. Many link sharing apps even include real-time collaboration, so you can work together on the same file at the same time.
Clearly, link sharing is a very important skill for businesses to learn. Fortunately for you, you can learn everything that you need to know about it in this article!
In this article, we will discuss:
- What is link sharing
- What is a link sharing app
- How to create a link to a file
- How to share links in an email
- How to turn on link sharing in Gmail with Google Drive
- The best link sharing app that lets you send unlimited URLs securely
By the end of the article, you will know how to share links and which platform best suits your needs.
What is Link Sharing?
So, what is link sharing?
Link sharing is the process of sharing a file by sending a link. When your recipient clicks on the sent link, they are redirected to the file’s location in the cloud. So, to send a file as a link, you must first store your file on an online document creation or storage platform such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
This form of file sharing can also be used to send folders or other collections of files as a group. When you send a folder as a link, your recipient can access all documents in that folder when they click on the link. Sending files this way saves the time you would have otherwise spent attaching every individual file to a message.
Ultimately, link sharing is the easiest and fastest way to share files over the internet.
What is a Link Sharing App?
A link sharing app is one that lets you convert files to links and then send the link to others. In order to send files as URLs, you need to have access to a link sharing app.
To use a link sharing app, you will need to upload your file to the app. Then, the link sharing app will create a unique link that redirects to your file. After the link is created, you can copy and paste it into any other platform. You can paste your link into an email, a messenger platform, or a CRM in order to send the file to others.
Most link sharing apps also include privacy and security features that ensure your file is not accessed by anyone that you don’t approve. These secure share features include:
- Password protection of files
- Different levels of access for different viewers (such as view-only vs editing access)
- The ability to turn download permission on and off
- Different privacy settings (such as private vs public)
- Self-destruct options
- Data encryption during file transfer
- 2-Factor authentication to access your account
For businesses, link sharing apps offer team accounts with additional security features such as SSO and admin control. Team accounts let users more easily access and collaborate on shared files. A team account also affords admins more control over what team members upload and share, further ensuring that sensitive company documents are protected.
Some examples of link sharing apps that include robust security features and team support include Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Covideo, and Droplr. If you’re looking for a secure link sharing app for your business, then be sure to check out those options!
How to Send Links Securely
So, now that you know how to identify a link sharing app, let’s go over how you can use them securely.
- Identify which link sharing app you want to use and create an account.
- Upload the file you want to share to the link sharing app. On some link sharing apps, like Google Drive, you can also create the document in the app and then share it.
- Check the settings for your file to ensure that the correct privacy and security settings are in place.
- Click on the “share” or “get link” icon in the file. This will copy the associated link to your clipboard.
- Paste the link in your messenger platform, then press send!
For step #5, you may also be able to share the link directly to your recipient’s email within the platform. Regardless, once your recipient receives your link, they will be able to access your file the moment they click on it.
How to Turn Link Sharing On in Gmail
If you specifically want to send a file in Gmail, you can do so through Google Drive. Here’s how to turn link sharing on Gmail:
- Go to your Google Drive account. If you have Gmail, then you can log into Google Drive with the same account information.
- Go to the file you want to share. If it’s not already in Google Drive, then you can upload it to your account. You get 15GB of storage with a free account, so you can upload large files with no problem!
- Click on the “Share” icon in the upper right corner.
- Add a person or group to the file to send it directly to their email address. The file will appear as a link in the email. When you add a new person to the file, you can also write out a message to accompany the link. You can also decide whether they can view, add comments, or directly edit the file.
You can also share the file by selecting “copy link” and then pasting the link in another platform if you don’t want to send a direct email.
If you no longer want to let someone access your file, you can remove their access from the “Share” window. Simply click the drop-down menu next to their role, then click “remove”. In the same drop-down menu, you can also change the level of access or even make someone the owner of the file.
Share Files and Boards with Covideo
While Google Drive is a fantastic free link sharing app, it does have limits in terms of how big of files you can share. You only get 15GB of free storage, and this amount is also shared between your Gmail and Google Photos storage. If you’re sending a larger file or folder, you’ll have to either upgrade your amount of storage or find a different app.
That’s where Covideo comes in. With Covideo, you can store and share an unlimited number of files as links. Whenever you upload a new file, Covideo automatically generates a short link associated with it. You can then copy and paste this short link into any platform.
Covideo also lets you sort files into boards. Boards can include any number of files and any file type. To share a board, simply copy and paste the associated short link. Boards make it simple to share a collection of important materials to clients, co-workers, onboarding employees, and more!
You can also take screenshots and create screen recordings directly from the Covideo platform. Screenshots and screen recordings are automatically saved to your Covideo library and can also be shared via a short link. As such, Covideo is the easiest way to turn a video into a link and then share it with others. Best of all, there are no limits – you can record, store, and share as many videos as you like, so you never have to worry about upload limits.